HomeBoating NewsWeather UpdatesCook Strait crossings cancelled as rough weather hammers ferry schedules

Cook Strait crossings cancelled as rough weather hammers ferry schedules

Swells up to 7 metres and gale-force southerlies force ferry operators to suspend services until Friday

A powerful southerly front sweeping across central Aotearoa has brought Cook Strait ferry traffic to a grinding halt, as towering swells and high winds make conditions too dangerous for passenger vessels to cross. Both major operators, Interislander and Bluebridge, have suspended services until Friday afternoon at the earliest, with some additional weekend sailings planned to ease the backlog.

The weather system, which MetService has warned will bring severe rain, snow, and wind to much of the country’s lower North and upper South Islands, is also generating significant marine hazards in Cook Strait. Swell forecasts of up to 7 metres are expected to persist into early Saturday, with gale-force southerlies compounding the risk for vessels attempting to make the crossing.

Interislander suspends three days of sailings

Interislander has confirmed that all crossings from Wednesday afternoon (30 April) through to Friday afternoon (2 May) have been cancelled. In total, 18 sailings have been affected — nine in each direction — including key daytime and overnight services aboard the Aratere and Kaiārahi ferries.

“A significant southerly weather system is forecast to bring strong winds and swells of up to 7 metres to Cook Strait. As a result, we have had to cancel all sailings from Wednesday afternoon through to Friday,” Interislander said in a public update.

Impacted passengers have been contacted directly, and Interislander has added extra sailings on Saturday evening and Sunday morning to accommodate the disruption. Further changes may be announced if the forecast deteriorates further.

- Advertisement, article continues below -
Tauranga Boat Sales
Lagoon 450s (2018)
Lagoon 450s (2018)
$1,050,000
2018 | 14.00 m | 2018 Lagoon 450s luxury catamaran, 14m, 3-cabin owner's layout with dual Yanmar diesels, enclosed helm station and asymmetric spinnaker. Beautifully presented and hard to fault. Tauranga, Bay of Plenty. NZD $1,050,000.

Bluebridge also cancels services through to Friday

Bluebridge has taken similar steps, cancelling all of its Wednesday and Thursday sailings and its early Friday morning service from Picton to Wellington. That includes daytime, overnight, and early-morning crossings, with a total of 13 services affected.

As of Wednesday afternoon, Bluebridge said all customers had been notified and that extra weekend services were being added — including a 1:30pm Saturday sailing from Wellington and a 7:15pm sailing from Picton.

“Our top priority is ensuring everyone’s safety while minimising the impact on your travel plans,” Bluebridge stated. “We are monitoring the situation closely and will advise if more sailings are affected.”

Passengers are being encouraged to manage bookings online where possible, as phone lines and customer service inboxes are under heavy demand.

Marine and road warnings remain active

MetService has issued orange weather warnings across several regions including Wellington, Kaikōura, Canterbury, and Gisborne/Tairāwhiti, along with road snowfall alerts for alpine passes. For mariners and coastal operators, the heavy swell warnings in Cook Strait are among the most severe issued this season, with sea heights off the Wairarapa coast forecast to exceed 7 metres.

- Advertisement, article continues below -
Parker Marine Brokers Logo
1988 Markline 1100
1988 Markline 1100
$140,000
1988 | 12.50 m | 1988 Markline 1100 flybridge cruiser, 12.5m, NZ-built. Twin 200hp Volvo diesels, 7 berths, 900L fuel. A capable, well-appointed family cruiser ready for NZ coastal adventures. $140,000.

Inland, strong winds and surface flooding are causing widespread travel disruption. State Highway users are advised to plan carefully and monitor live traffic alerts. The combined impact of marine and land-based weather is expected to continue until late Friday or early Saturday.

Aratere on its Cook Strait ferry sailing. Photo from File

Ferry operators watching conditions closely

While this sort of disruption isn’t uncommon for Cook Strait in winter, the timing — at the end of April — has caught some off guard, particularly freight and tourism operators moving between the islands.

Both Interislander and Bluebridge are updating their respective service alert pages regularly:

Travellers are advised to avoid unnecessary travel during this weather window and rebook where possible for sailings later in the weekend. Though both companies are working to clear the backlog, berth availability will likely be tight through Saturday and Sunday.

For now, the Strait remains firmly closed to most traffic — a stark reminder that in New Zealand’s most notorious stretch of water, Mother Nature still calls the shots.

Share this
Weather Updates

Cyclone Vaianu, Evening Briefing, Sunday 12 April

Vaianu moves on, leaving significant damage in its wake Cyclone Vaianu has tracked across the northern North Island and is n...
Read more
Weather Updates

Cyclone Vaianu: we all got through the night

Cyclone Vaianu has tracked down the upper North Island overnight, bringing strong winds, heavy rain and widespread power cuts...
Read more
Weather Updates

Marine Weather Report, New Zealand

Issued Friday 10 April 2026. Based on MetService forecasts and warnings current as of midday Friday.
Read more

Comments

This conversation is moderated by Boating New Zealand. Subscribe to view comments and join the conversation. Choose your plan →

This conversation is moderated by Boating New Zealand.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Chris Woodhams
Chris Woodhams
Adventurer. Explorer. Sailor. Web Editors of Boating NZ

Recent articles